To go with our curry tonight we made a cross between saag aloo and Bombay potato… We are still arguing about what it actually is but what ever the official title it’s a very tasty side to complement any main course.
400g potatoes chopped into small cubes
1 bag of spinach
2 cloves garlic – chopped
1 tsp ginger – grated
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
Salt and pepper
1. Toast the seeds in a dry pan on a medium heat for 1 min remove and grind.
2. Add turmeric and salt and pepper to the ground seeds and put to one side.
3. Fry the garlic, chilli, ginger and sliced onion on a low heat until soft
4. Add spice mix and stir though
5. Add the potatoes and mix
6. Add half a cup of water and cover until the potatoes are cooked
7. Add the spinach cook for 1 min until the spinach has wilted and serve
Be careful not to over cook the spinach!
You could add tomatoes to this to make it more saucey if you wish!